You have probably been told that it’s natural that the main sex organs (penis and vagina) function less for sex but more for urinary discharge from age 60 and above. Some people even espoused that just as retirement is advised after 30 something years of public works, sex organs too are expected to go into retiring mode after 30 something years of active sex duties. Here is the good news! It is not true.
Whether you are a man or a woman, studies have asserted that you can still enjoy sex as of old even in your twilight. Sexual arousal is a function of good blood flow in the body system. At 60 plus, you are less involved in high physical activities that the heart needs for optimum pumping of blood flowing into the body system. It therefore means that couples in their twilight need safe exercises to get their heart rate up for optimal physical activities stamina including sex without any sex enhancing products like herbs and drugs.
Great sex not better sex
You must have been told that sex is a form of exercise. Yes! that’s true. But sex don’t burn calories that is beneficial to sex like exercises. A medical report says sex burns about 4.2 calories per minute, for men, and 3.1 calories per minute, for women. And with the average sex session under 20 minutes, it’s not exactly a great calorie burner.
The same study showed that 30 minutes on a treadmill burned more calories: 276 calories for men and 213 for women. This result may be higher in physical workout like jogging, running, stretching, fast walking, weight lifting and other aerobics.
Experts say for more feel-good sex, exercise is best before sex. According to them, to feel aroused, your body engages similar functions as it would when you’re exercising. Meaning while you’re getting sweaty in bed, your body engages its heart rate, blood pressure and flow, respiratory rate, and muscles. Just as it would during exercise session. Working out also increases body awareness, which according to research, could increase bodily sensations. Exercising throws up the feel-good endorphins and newfound strength for a memorable sex session.
Benefits of Exercising
Before we discuss the various healthy exercises for better sex stamina, let’s do a general review of exercising to highlight its general benefits
- Exercise is a great way to maintain or build muscle to retain strength and keep fit.
- Maintaining and controlling weight.
- Develop a better sense of balance and prevent the risk of falls. Regular exercise keeps you standing upright and can even improve your posture.
- It’s great for mental health. Often after a work-out, you will feel a rush of endorphins from exercise as well as a sense of accomplishment for doing something productive.
- Exercise is one of the natural ways to reduce symptoms of dementia. It helps prevent strokes and other medical complications that can cause cognitive impairment, as well as controlling (and reducing) chronic disease symptoms
Exercises for 60+
The following exercises have been medically recommended by experts for senior citizens, 60+, with no medical or health issues.
- Stretching. According to Active Health, stretching helps develop better flexibility to keep falls and muscle pains at bay.
- Tai Chi. Also known as shadowboxing is a very popular exercise with older age groups, and for good reason. It builds strength, flexibility and balance. It is also great for improving mood and acts as a sort of physical meditation.
- Walking. Light walking is commonly recommended for older senior citizens who want to exercise as an easy cardio exercise that anyone can do. This can be arranged to be done in groups or by yourself. Always better on flat ground with smooth paths.
- Chair routines. This is convenient for those who have trouble standing or are recovering from an injury or illness. Popular chair routine programs include: overhead press; seated march; toe lifts; seated rows and knee extensions.
- Yoga. Like stretching but with a calming effect on the mind and soul. Yoga is good for the seniors because it involves flexibility and strength.
- Lightweight training. This is good for those with some light weights lying around the house. As we get older, we start to lose some muscle fibre. So, lifting light weights can help maintain our muscle and help increase our strength and endurance.
- Dancing. Dancing involves coordination, rhythm and spirit so it’s great exercise. One study found thatdancing has the same results as walking, stretching and toning in those aged 60-79 years old. There are different styles for anyone to enjoy, so pick your favourite from a gentle juju highlife to energic hip- hop 10 minutes of dancing at regular intervals are recommended.
- Stability ball training. Perfect for developing and maintaining core strength and balance. Stability balls are like the beach balls that can be used for multitasking exercises to tone the arms, touch the core, burn out every major muscle group while simultaneously improving balance, coordination, core strength, flexibility and posture.
It is important to remember to stop exercising at the first sign of pain. Do not push yourself if you are experiencing sensations of dizziness, feelings of nausea, or if you are seeing spots.
- Start slow and use the first 5 minutes of exercise to warm up the joints and get the body ready for something more strenuous.
- Do exercise in the morning or afternoon. Establish exercise as a habit and incorporate it in your routine.
- Make your exercise more social and do exercises in groups. This can mean walking with a group of friends.
Now that we have updated your knowledge of physical exercising (PE), keep a date with Citizen Comfort next time for specific sex enhancing physical exercises and how you can safely apply them.
Source: Dare Agbeluyi, Chief Publisher.
- Leave your comments in the comments box below and share the post
- Send your health- related articles, stories, tips to firstname.lastname@example.org free publication
- Like and share our Facebook page: @citizencomfortng